Road trip- Lompoc CA Sunday 5/9/2021




 Up from Baja, 1,200 miles in 10 days, slower than Google maps 23 hours....but faster than a mule train. 8days of Baja/CA desert coast line camping. Now a couple days of central CA coast motels (the $40+night tent campgrounds are full upas are most of the <$200 3 star motels) one night in San Pedro my neighbor was the cargo ship Ever-Lucky sister ship of Ever-Given of Suez  fame, Guy I met in laundry skippers water taxi between ships in port, stays in $150 night motel, tips must be good.  LA metro 19 Million drivers have been very courteous, most all use turn signals, and stop at stop signs. Roads are amazingly smooth. I watch the Google map red zones to avoid traffic.

Going north on highway 1 are all of the businesses I shop at, miss one store? Another will pop up in 5 miles.

Here in CA, I’m impressed with the Hispanic tradesmen I see. Well dressed, prosperous looking, self assured, drive well kept quality vehicles.  I’m comparing them to the worn out impoverished obsequious compadres from the south. No wondering why people follow coyotes north through the desert risking life and limb.

Last night I’m in Lompoc near Vandenberg AFB #1? target of Russian ICBM, the first thing I see as I flip on motel tv is the movie Greenland a dystopian end of planet movie. I turn it off.

Tonight I have a Airbnb reservations for a trailer on a goat farm, highly rated, wish me luck.



Comments