Tuesday 12/29/2020 12:28 PM First Swim in Sea of Cortez

 

It's been 9 months since CV shutdown my swimming at the wonderful Beaverton OR pools.  An attempt was to made  by the city of Beaverton to open the pools on a reservation basis,  they were quickly booked for weeks ahead, then shutdown again.  This did work for my ad-hoc swimming style.  The dark cool waters of the Willamette & Columbia  rivers had the obstacle of cross-town traffic mess for me to navigate.

2,100 miles south and I arrive in Laz Paz in mid December,  I get settled and reconnoiter my neighborhood.

My son keeps asking me why I haven't swam yet, since that was one of main goals.   I explain there are several reasons: it is not easy to find credible people that can give quality advice on where to swim,  often that advice when found is couched in terms of "its dangerous,  watch out for jellies,  string of pearls, and especially skates"   ad nauseum. 

After soliciting and getting FB advice I plan to go to el Coromuel Playa.

I leave Comidan at 8,

20 minute drive along sketchy 4 lanes to west-side park near the green bike lanes.  I then unload 

and ride my bike to Coromuel (I am not crazy about driving a car through town),  arrive about 9:30 the guard explains to my iPhone translator that they close at 10.  "That's ok"  I tell him "I am just going for a quick sport swim" (whatever that is).  He waves me through the barricade,  with sufficient modesty I change under my surf poncho

and goggles, snorkel, swim buoy I shuffle into the water, expecting a raft of skates whipping around my legs.... not a skate to be seen.   The water is crystal and as soon as I put my mask in the water I am surrounded by a massive school of small fish.  Wonderful,  I swim quickly to the end buoy,  the fish keep getting bigger and now with splashes of color.  Very cool.  Being mindful of the time,  I don't want to be booted out of country :),  I swim under the pier and back to my put-in.  Dress, and make it out by 10AM.  There are a couple small families queued at the gate.  For 10AM entry or early for 11AM?
I finish dressing on the sidewalk, looking back at the pier and ocean I see two large dolphins porpoising just outside the swim area floats.






20 minute ride back west through town.  It appears there is a nice beach for swimming next to the big yellow City Express Hotel, 1.2K closer to town.


Comments